Sunday, May 29, 2005

Star Wars - Great Effects ---> Connect the Dots Plot

Last week I had a business trip. During most of these trips when there is nothing to do, I just work or read. Since there has been so much hype about Star Wars, I figured why not see it. This was my first visit to Star Wars since Return of the Jedi.

I was in Orlando. The theatre possessed an incredible sound system and great view. The view was greatly aided by a high angle of attack between the audience chairs and the screen for great viewing. With this theatre, any action film starts out with an initial score of "3". During, the battles and light saber duels, the filming is done very well. I felt like I was in an I-max theatre.

Aside from the effects, Lucas' plot is aided by the fact that 99% of his audience knows the ending. He merely has to provide a credible story line and we will believe him. His challenge is to take a likeable and successful Jedi, Anakin, and turn him into the ruthless Darth Vader.

The basic reason that Anakin leaves the "good" Jedis and moves over to the dark side is to save his wife. Unfortunately, the actors and script portray Anakin and his wife with a dramatic but not very believable relationship. In contrast, the friendship of Obi-Wan and Anakin is believable and pretty well done. However, the strength of Anakin and Obi-Wan ends up working against Lucas'desire to move Anakin over to the other column.

So the deal comes down to Anakin being offered the possible saving of his wife by the Dark Lord or Emperor or whatever he is called. Anakin believes this offer because he was invited to the Corporate box seats of the Dark Lord. Anakin then proceeds to kill all of his former associates and their children in the Jedi temple.

I know Lucas wanted to compare Anakin's change to the Americans in Vietnam or the French in Algeria/Vietnam. But, I don't think so. Anakin is closer to a deranged maniac. Even in Algeria, the French troops thought that they were killing the children and wives of their enemies. In Star Wars, Anakin goes on to killing his own friends, acquaintances and little children. If Lucas had shown more of these killings the plot would have been more like Friday the 13th. All Anakin had to do was show up at the Jedi temple in a hockey mask. No other explanation would have been needed.

6 Stars out of 10. Leave your mind at home and this is worth seeing just for the special effects. Violent but otherwise clean.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Now I will have to see two movies. I understand that Cinderella Man was also a good movie. Thanks for the review.