
My father passed away unexpectedly on 29 May 2008. My father was my model father and became my good friend.
My father was a complex person. A strong Irish Nationalist but also a person very proud to be an American. A factory dispatcher who loved history. When I was growing up my dad read books like the "History of the Phoenicians."
My father was a devoted Christian. He was also a loyal Roman Catholic who felt free to pick and choose and not follow those beliefs he disagreed with. For example my father was never into Marian or miracle obsession. Instead my father would read the Bible and try to understand what was in the Word of God.
Since I left the Catholic church, my father and I talked extensively about religion. I don't know if there is anybody with who I have had more discussions about doctrines of the Christian faith. For all major points, my father and I agreed like with the scriptural understanding of salvation by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. But my father had a strong attachment to the church. My father was in some ways a type of Erasmus. I trust God that I will see my father one day with the other Saints in heaven.
My father's departure will change our family. My parents are one of the keys that have provided glue for our family. My father was the anchor. Now I am afraid we will drift in our different directions. My brother has put together a online slide show of my father's life. My brother has put up a site with my dad's obituary at http://weblog.xanga.com/JMHanley/.
No comments:
Post a Comment