Monday, November 05, 2007

Leaving Captaris


I had a conversation with my boss last week. Nov 16th will be my last day with Captaris. I joined Teamplate through a Internet interview 4 years ago from Northern Ireland. 6 months later, Captaris bought Teamplate and we move back to Northern Virginia.

Captaris has been a very fair employer. I have worked with some very excellent folks. Some of these people have left in the past 2 years, but there are some great folks left.

My big problem with Captaris has been that they shifted me to Federal sales exclusively 2 years ago. The move itself was fine but the expectations were never realistic. I was burdened from the start with a quota 50% larger than my peers. Captaris' internal operations was a mess during my entire career. Every new problem brought in a new internal manager and the promotion of the old internal manager. To comply with Sarbanes Oxley, the company was spending about 10% of revenue. Not surprisingly, our software became second rate. The competition continued to innovate and bring out new features. Captaris R&D was slow and always did a half job. This might just mean they did not have enough money. The biggest joke was when they came out with a product that was never released, but they executive management still assigned sales quota for the phantom product. I can still sell you one.

In any case, I am grateful to have the chance to work with Captaris. I wish them the best in the future as they strive to innovate and to make the company strategic in the competitive IT race.

[Since I wrote this post, Captaris was purchased by Opentext.]

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Well my time at Captaris has been extended to the end of December. This was great news since I would love to stay. I will just have to walk by faith and see what happens.