I grew up in New Jersey till I was 22 years old and had graduated from Rutgers. Up to 1987, I had never felt the inclination to go anywhere else in the US until I went into the US Air Force. Yesterday (Saturday), I started a course in Biology II at Ocean County College in Toms River, NJ. The first thing I noticed was the professor's accent. How New Jerseyan! Then she mentioned that she had done her PhD at Rutgers. My reaction was "I did my BSEE at Rutgers! Oh, I am in New Jersey. Dope, everyone who has gone to university went to Rutgers." With the students and accents and attitudes I feel like I have been transported back 20 years. I am glad I have not aged in that time (at least according to my eldest daughter when she is looking for a favor).
Presidential Nominations:
Interesting results on the Democratic side - Obama wins in South Carolina but has he lost the white vote in doing so? The Clintons are great politicians. I say "Clintons" because these folks can only be understood as a couple. If Hillary makes to Pennsylvania Ave, it will be chiefly with the assistance of Bill. The Clintons know how to play the political game to its fullest. Even in losing in South Carolina, the Clintons have put Obama on his back foot and are looking to gain back momentum in Florida. Can he compete in Super Tuesday next week? Yes, but with the Clintons in position to take the largest states - California, New York and New Jersey, Obama will probably end up with more than Jesse Jackson's electoral count but not nearly enough to win the nomination.
On the Republican side, it will be very difficult to win in the face of a recession and the continued war in Iraq. The Republican's best chance is to run against Obama who does not have the campaign discipline to watch his mouth like his praise of Reagan during the Democratic primary or the security resume. Hillary is calculating and does not make these types of gaffes. The race on the Republican side is pretty much down to Romney vs. McCain. I think McCain would be a shoe-in if he was younger or both sides had the same financial resources. Huckabee seems to be running for McCain's VP. Huckabee has made several defenses of McCain integrity during the campaign including yesterday. The two of them would not be a bad option because it would insure the full support of the evangelicals behind the ticket. Other VP options for McCain could include a Democrat like Joe Lieberman or John Kerry. Hold on to your seats we have an exciting 10 months to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment