
So far when I have had the time, I have really enjoyed watching the World Cup. Poor Ireland did not make the trip this because they uncharacteristically blew leads against Israel during their qualification in both Dublin and Tel Aviv. The US started with a terrible performance against the Czecks, but came back with a tough permformance against Italy.
How about Spain? Anybody else remember 1982? The Spanish have a history of losing games to countries with heart and determination. In 1982, Gerry Armstrong and N. Ireland defeated Spain 1-0 in Madrid during the World Cup. Probably one of the best days for soccer in Northern Ireland. This World Cup, the Spanish finally look like they have grown up defeating Tunisia 3-1 after being behind for most of the game.
Predictions: US loses to Ghana after exhausting themselves against Italy (like Ireland after playing Italy in 1992 World Cup). Britian and Brazil loses in the semis. Spain beats Germany.
4 comments:
The US did lose as perdicted. Once again it was done at the hands of the referee who awards a penalty kick for a small amount of contact in the box. Worse it was a play where Ghana had no chance to score. Instead of letting the game play on, the referee settled the match. Pathetic!
No wonder Americans will never take to Soccer.
Don't let the Scots or the Welsh hear you say that Britain will lose in the semis! A lot of Scots are supporting Trinidad and Tobago against England, esp. as one of the players is called Scotland. Some of the Scots even produced a music video singing, "Scotland for the World Cup!"
P.S. Your font size is too big.
Hi Tim,
I think some Scots, Welsh and Irish can be pretty bitter against the English. I don't think they have a monopoly this type of nationalist spite. I know one of Valentian friends will be annoyed that I picked Spain to win. I remember in 1982 a lot of folks in Ireland who did not want to support Northern Ireland on their impressive World Cup run.
Do you think the font size is why people don't leave comments? :) I am willing to give anything a try!
Post a Comment