
Let me start with one of my better predictions. Ghana would beat the US. The US did indeed go down but only with the help from the referee (Markus Merk). The US had just evened the scored at 1-1 before half-time when the referee awarded Ghana a penalty kick for an innocuous defensive play by USA defender - Oguchi Onyewu. The second half was pathetic. The players from Ghana had obviously been coached to fall to the pitch anytime they were running next to a US player in order to run down the time on the clock. Every other minute it seemed one of Ghana players was writhing on the ground trying to win an Oscar.

The second half also provided a summary of the skill level of the US team. The US team works hard but doesn’t have the ability to create real scoring opportunities against the better teams. Just as with their game with the Czechs, multiple times the US would bring down the ball against the Ghana defense and lose possession by failing to put several simple passes together or by hitting a cross too far. If by chance there was a good pass in front of the goal, the US would have no one in front or the shot on goal would be hit wildly or too soft. If the US wants to play at the next level, the team will need to be restructured. Former University of Virginia coach, Bruce Arena, has done a good job in bringing the US team this far along, but he does not have the coaching ability to bring this team to the next level. We need a veteran European coach. How about the ex-COSMOS and former German coach Franz Beckenbauer?
Risk Free Predictions

It has always bothered me when I hear someone predict that Brazil is going to win the World Cup. I think to myself, "Wow you really are a big risk taker." But what can I say looking at my own predictions? Spain went down to France 2-1. The veteran French ran hard and looked much better than in previous matches. The Spanish were missing the polish they had previously shown. The people of Valencia and other oppressed parts of Spain can smile again.
So now that the Spanish are out, who would I predict? Brazil….
1 comment:
Hi everybody,
Well, I've just read it and found it was really interesting and funny. Actually, very little people in the Land of Valencia would be rejoicing I guess; in Catalonia (its neighboring oppressed region!) I think there would be lots of them.
The fact is I had really mixed feelings about the match preferring to see the two teams eliminated (so I could enjoy some quietness and watch news 'cause there were no more news in France except soccer!!!!) but well the comments and the arrogance of the Spanish team saying the others were a bunch of old people led me to prefer the French victory (Arghhh!).
Take care,
Claudi
Post a Comment