Thursday, April 20, 2006

Baseball in Seattle



This week I was in Redmond near Seattle visiting Microsoft. After a busy day at a conference, one of the guys from my company invited me out to a Seattle Mariners game. Seattle was playing the Texas Ranger. We had good seats about 8 rows away from the field on the 1st base line. The first batter came to the plate and popped it up right over me. I was munching on peanuts with one hand occupied. So when the ball bounced, I swept my free hand in an arcing motion and came away with the ball in the midst of 3 other people. Things were going my way because I don't even drop a peanut. The baseball I picked up was not white but light brown with a black mark on it where the bat's tar had made its impression.

A few innings later, a right hand batter came up and hit a line drive right in my direction. Self preservation kicked in and I dropped low real fast. A young fellow about 13 years old and two seats away was nailed on the arm. As the ball fell to his feet the folks in the row in front had turned around and swiped it. He was quite upset at having been hit by a line drive and not being able to keep the ball. No problem. I gave him my ball. In turn I was given a Seatle Mariners sweatshirt. In addition, the Mariners won! Picture - Carl Everett thanking God for hitting his game winning home run.

No comments: