Friday, November 04, 2005

Knowing Alexander Hamilton



During the past few weeks I have been moved by the reading of the biography of Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. I had heard whispers of Hamilton’s achievements in my reading of the biography of George Washington.

In reading his biography, I came to truly admire the human being who was Alexander Hamilton. His achievements were impressive from his humble Caribbean roots to his rise as Chief of Staff and Treasury Secretary for George Washington, military hero at Yorktown and his publication of "The Federalist" to ratify the Constitution with James Madison.

He was one of the rare individuals who could think beyond the confines of the society. Unfortunately, in politics, a person with an open soul like Alexander would pay the price for his transparency again and again. For instance, his vision for monetary policy and economics created Wall Street and put the new American Republic on par in its financial investment with the leading powers of Europe. He was attacked in every possible manner by the sinister puppets of Thomas Jefferson. In contrast to Alexander, Thomas Jefferson the consummate politician and power grabber, never risked a new idea and criticized every government and financial innovation. Unlike Hamilton's deepest desire to support and strengthen the Union, Jefferson and Madison sow the seeds of the Civil War by their use of States rights in their political battles.

At the age of 49 on the cliffs above the Hudson in what is today Weehawken, NJ, Alexander Hamilton was mortally shot in a dual with Aaron Burr. Alexander considered it his Christian duty not to shoot at his opponent. He left behind 7 children and an beloved wife. I read the pages like a witness observing an accident who is compelled to look at the unfolding events in horror without the ability to affect the event.

During the last few years of his life, he had found again the Lord that he had known as a teenager in the Caribbean. During these same years, he also found his family and took the role of father that he had often neglected. At his death, he professed his belief in the Lord Jesus and took communion.

Alexander's last words

I have a tender reliance on the mercy of the Almighty, through the merits of the Lord Jesus Christ. I am a sinner. I look to Him for mercy; pray for me.

I plan to visit Alexander's house in New York City near Christmas when I visit my parents.

4 comments:

Brian said...

Shame that I live this close to his house and have nevered visited.

By the way in was Hamilton which helped found the Bank of New York and assisted in a loan to the US government of $200,000 in 1789. I have a copy of the loan with Hamilton's signature on my desk at work.

Brian

Kevin said...

Hi Brian,

Yes, He did start the Bank of New York. Maybe, you can join me for the visit of his house.

Thanks for the comment,
Kevin

Brian said...

Sounds good!

Brian said...

I finished reading some of the correspondence between Gen. Hamilton, and Colonel Burr and even a written statement following the duel. All very interesting. It would seem that Gen. Hamilton was involved in a number of duels before the one in Weehaawken, NJ. His brother-in-law and his eldest son also died in duels. Gen. Hamilton even owned his own dueling pistols. (I believe Chase-Manhattan Bank in NY owns them)

The book you read indicated that Gen. Hamilton did not shoot at Col. Burr – but the true appears that Gen. Hamilton simply shot poorly. No mention in his extensive correspondence with Col. Burr that he opposed to dueling. Also from the witness’ which were at the duel they fired in succession (within a few seconds of each other). From the eye witnesses there is nothing to suggest that Gen. Hamilton did not fire with the intention of killing Col. Burr.

While I am no fan of Col. Burr - Gen. Hamilton was no saint, at least not politically. He had it out for Col. Burr from the get go. Around 1792 Gen. Hamilton wrote; "I feel it a religious duty to oppose his career".

Even with all this said, I am still interested in visiting his house.

Brian